Custom tabs

Development related discussion.
Jack
Advanced Member

Custom tabs

Post by Jack » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:58 pm

Traq 3.0.7 will include a new plugin: Custom Tabs.

What this plugin does is allow you to add tabs to your Traq installation, either for all projects or just one.

This was going to be in 3.1, however that is still in early development and I know some people want to add custom tabs now without having to create a plugin or edit the view files.

If you are eager to use this plugin now, simply use the 3.0 branch from the repository. Please note, while the 3.0 branch is primarily for bug fixing, there may still be issues that could cause your installation and database to break. Use at your own risk.

dharman

Re: Custom tabs

Post by dharman » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:01 am

Proposal: why don't use an iframe to manage the content of the custom tabs within the context of Traq?

Jack
Advanced Member

Post by Jack » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:03 am

The "custom tabs" plugin is basically a way to add your own links to the navbar without having to edit the view/template files.

Having content inside an "iframe" can make the page look cheap, ugly and stupid.

There is currently two ways to put your own content onto pages of Traq, there are wiki pages or you could create your own plugin. At some point I may create a plugin to have actual "custom pages".

dharman

Post by dharman » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:51 pm

I'm trying to do exactly that, now. Yesterday night I've cloned the custom_tabs plugin and renamed it "embedded_tabs".

It's only a start point to understand how traq works, so I think in the near future this plugin "as is" will die. But this is my approach to the traq development.

Any other suggestions? :)

What do you mean with <<At some point I may create a plugin to have actual "custom pages".>>? If I've understand, custom_tabs is already a plugin!

Jack
Advanced Member

Post by Jack » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:27 pm

What I mean is at some point, either after the next 3.x release or during 4.0, I will either create or extend the custom tabs plugin.

I will most likely extend the current plugin to function similarly to a CMS in a way that tabs can either link to a URL or be its own page with content.

<div> </div>
<div>
[quote="dharman"]
But this is my approach to the traq development.

Any other suggestions? 
[/quote]
</div>

Keep an eye on the GitHub repository for changes that could break the plugin functionality, also it would be a good idea to take a look at the Radium framework repository too as I will will be switching Traq over to it soon.
Last edited by Jack on Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.