Click here to lend your support to: Traq and make a donation at pledgie.com !
Photo

Notifications

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 adegans

adegans

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 06:23 PM

Did anyone look into a simple notification system yet?

It would be wonderful if there is a message sent when:
1. a new ticket is posted
-- user should be told his ticket is made and someone will update it shortly
-- proj. manager should be notified a new ticket is made for project x and is this urgent and is coupled to this component. Optionally admin too.

2. a ticket is updated
-- user/owner should be notified a reply has been posted / ticket status has changed. With some information what has happened.

3. new user registration
-- user should be informed of his new account and be welcomed to the site
-- admin should be notified of new users

All but the 3rd emails should have a link to the ticket it belongs to.

Perhaps other events that require/could use an email notification. But these are mandatory i think.

I would look into it myself, but with the documentation not being released yet i have no time to sift through the code and make it work.

#2 arturo182

arturo182

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 06:32 PM

Work on notifications has been started in r347.

#3 adegans

adegans

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 07:42 PM

How exiting.. And from alpha2 to 3 or whichever next version, will there be an upgrade script? If required. Or, in other words. Are the alpha versions upgradable when a new version comes out?

If not i have to take that into account in using traq for a production site.

#4 arturo182

arturo182

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 07:53 PM

I'm sure Jack will provide such script if needed, it's not that hard to do ;)

#5 adegans

adegans

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 10:35 PM

I know, overwriting files isn't hard :) I was just wondering though... Thanks!

#6 arturo182

arturo182

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 11:14 PM

It's not about the files, it's more about the database stuff ;)

#7 Jack

Jack

Project Founder

• Administrators
  • 673 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 18 April 2010 - 08:05 AM

The notification system in Traq 2.0 will work like this:

When you watch a project, you will be emailed when someone creates a ticket or a milestone marked as complete.
When you watch a milestone, you will be emailed when someone creates a ticket for that milestone or the milestone is marked as complete.
When you watch a ticket, you will be emailed when it has been updated.

#8 adegans

adegans

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 11:06 PM

Who watches a project/milestone/ticket? Users? Can they start watching at will? Or just when they're the owner/moderator/project manager?

If anyone can watch anything it could build up to a lot of emails then. WHich might be interpreted as spam by some servers and filters.

#9 Jack

Jack

Project Founder

• Administrators
  • 673 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:05 AM

Only registered users can use the notification system.

#10 adegans

adegans

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:09 AM

yes ofcourse, but what i mean is, imagine there are 1000 users and 1 makes a ticket. Then from those 1000 say 200 subscribe to that ticket. A lot of mails are gonna be send for just one ticket. Especially if its has a lot of replies and updates.

In my opinion that shouldn't be allowed and just the owner and relevant people should get mails. Not everyone who follows that ticket.

#11 Pierre

Pierre

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:38 PM

yes ofcourse, but what i mean is, imagine there are 1000 users and 1 makes a ticket. Then from those 1000 say 200 subscribe to that ticket. A lot of mails are gonna be send for just one ticket. Especially if its has a lot of replies and updates.

In my opinion that shouldn't be allowed and just the owner and relevant people should get mails. Not everyone who follows that ticket.

But what if you have use the program and there is a specific bug fix that you need fixed, then you want to be updated when it is finished, and not log in every week or so to see the progress.
Or if you post a message in a forum (like this one), you want to know when there are replies.

Social networking sites like facebook, twitter, myspace etc sends out millions of emails a day.Why don't you want to send a couple hundred emails? Are you worried about server load? Because that wouldn't be a problem, and also you don't have to worry about spam, because the people will knowingly subscribe to the updates, so they can't report you as a spammer.

#12 Mythos

Mythos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 07:29 PM

I think the notification system could work like the "new tweets" system on twitter.
If there is a new update it shows up on the homepage via AJAX. This would be good for users who don't have E-Mail supporting servers. ;-)

Also not everyone checks his emails every day.

#13 adegans

adegans

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 10:36 PM

Twitter for updates on traq is bweh, i'd rather send out a few hundred emails then. I see what you mean Pierre. And i'm not actually concerned about server load of sending out loads of emails. But i'm all for efficiency and simplicity. I can see that everyone who actually posted in the ticket would get updates. But the rest should check back regularly. Or perhaps traq should offer an RSS feed for them.

On a sidenote. RSS would be nice. 2 feeds, one for new tickets and one for tickets and its updates. Kinda like forums have (threads and replies).

Mythos: Besides, if your server doesn't support emails you should find another webhost... Or install/setup mail() or an external server.

Anyway, i'm sure jack (?) will find a good working solution.

#14 Jack

Jack

Project Founder

• Administrators
  • 673 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 21 April 2010 - 10:40 PM

On a sidenote. RSS would be nice. 2 feeds, one for new tickets and one for tickets and its updates. Kinda like forums have (threads and replies).

There are feeds in 0.6, and there will be in 2.0.

#15 Mythos

Mythos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 03:46 AM

Twitter for updates on traq is bweh, i'd rather send out a few hundred emails then. I see what you mean Pierre. And i'm not actually concerned about server load of sending out loads of emails. But i'm all for efficiency and simplicity. I can see that everyone who actually posted in the ticket would get updates. But the rest should check back regularly. Or perhaps traq should offer an RSS feed for them.

Mythos: Besides, if your server doesn't support emails you should find another webhost... Or install/setup mail() or an external server.

Anyway, i'm sure jack (?) will find a good working solution.

I didn't mean twitter itself, I meant the AJAX feature like you see on twitter ;-)

#16 adegans

adegans

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 05:47 AM

Mythos, ah duh, misread that :) sorry

#17 planit

planit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:36 PM

I just installed Traq on my server, everything is fine, but the only time I get any notifications is when I do a password reset. I thought my mail server was broken but it isn't, since I'm getting reset notifications. Shouldn't a notification go out to new users when they're created, when an action is performed on a ticket, when a ticket or project is created, etc etc? Perhaps I'm missing something but it seems odd that my email isn't getting blasted with emails from Traq when I'm doing things that logically should be sending email.

help? :)

#18 Jack

Jack

Project Founder

• Administrators
  • 673 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:36 AM

You need to subscribe / "watch" the project or ticket(s) you want notifications about.

Take a look on the project info page and ticket page, the links are under the project title and under the ticket info box.

#19 turbo5000c

turbo5000c

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:13 PM

I created a plugin to automatically set people (creator/assignee) to watch the ticket (which, when the ticket gets updated, the system will e-mail anyone watching the ticket): on update of a ticket: ticket_update hook:

//make sure assignee is set
if ($_POST['assign_to'] > 0)
{
// make sure the assign to user is watching this ticket:
$strSQL"select * from subscriptions where type='ticket' and user_id ='".$_POST['assign_to']."' and project_id='".$project['id']."' and data='".$ticket['id']."' ;")or die(mysql_error());

$check1 = $db->query($strSQL);

$row1 = mysql_fetch_array( $check1 );

if ( $row1 == null )
{
$db->query("INSERT INTO ".DBPF."subscriptions (type, user_id , project_id, data) VALUES( 'ticket' ,'".$_POST['assign_to']."', '".$project['id']."' , '".$ticket['id']."' )");
}
}

$dbName = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM tickets WHERE id='".$ticket['id']."' ;");
$getName = mysql_fetch_array( $dbName );

$strSQL2"select * from subscriptions where type='ticket' and user_id ='".$getName['user_id']."' and project_id='".$project['id']."' and data='".$ticket['id']."' ;")or die(mysql_error());

$check2 = $db->query($strSQL2);

$row2 = mysql_fetch_array( $check2 );

if ( $row2 == null )
{
// make usre the user that entered the ticket is watching it:
$db->query("INSERT INTO ".DBPF."subscriptions (type, user_id , project_id, data) VALUES( 'ticket' ,'".$getName['user_id']."', '".$project['id']."' , '".$ticket['id']."' )");
}

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users